SEE YOURSELF IN RES LIFE!
Please refer to the Resident Assistant and Peer Mentor Selection Process page for more information on the current RA selection process.
Resident Assistant Position Description
Click HERE to view the current RA Position Description. Please note, there may be minor changes to the position description for next year. The new Position Description will be added here soon!
For questions regarding the process please contact TempleRASelection@gmail.com.
Summary of Position
Resident Assistants (RAs):
- Work to support students in their holistic development by fostering a sense of community within the residence halls
- Have the opportunity to work closely with residents to positively influence student development
- Work closely with professional staff to develop an environment conducive to academic and personal growth
- Create strong floor communities, facilitate student engagement, serve as peer counselors, and educate students on University policies
- Behave in a manner that is professional and attuned to the goals and objectives of UHRL, both on and off campus
- Must be full-time Temple University student, at least sophmore in standing by the time of employment. RAs must enroll in and maintain at least 12 credit hours each semester
- Must be in good standing with all offices of the university and may not be on disciplinary probation or have outstanding bills or conduct fines at the time of their application and throughout their appointment period
- Undergraduate RAs must maintain a minimum of 2.75 Cumulative GPA and 2.75 Semester GPA. Graduate RAs must maintain a 3.0 Cumulative GPA (2.8 for Law School)
- All staff members hired will be limited to a two (2) year term
Outside Employment and Activities
- Student staff must limit their outside commitments to 10 hours per week for 1st year RAs and up to 15 hours for 2nd year staff.
- Student staff must request permission in advance and receive approval from Residence Life for all outside employment and activities
- Outside commitments include but are not limited to part-time jobs, cooperative education opportunities, internships, student teaching, theatre production contracts, other leadership positions, etc.
RA Development Seminar
The RA Development Seminar is a 1-credit academic course that allows RAs to learn more about the position, develop necessary leadership skills, and gain a deeper understanding of how Residential Life and RAs shape the on-campus experience for students.
- Taught by Residential Life staff and is highly interactive and discussion-based.
- 7 week course that meets once a week during the 7B term of the spring semester in which new RAs are hired.
- Required for all new RAs.