The LLC application for Returning Students is available from Monday, December 14, 2020 to Monday, January 25, 2021.
The LLC application for New Students is available from Monday, January 25, 2021 to Friday, May 1, 2021.
Living Learning Communities (LLCs) are residential communities of students and faculty who share a common interest. Each LLC is developed with a specific population in mind, and has dedicated professional and student staff members. Staff and Faculty work to develop an intentional co-curriculum based on the theme of each LLC, and work with student staff living on the floors to create an experiential community.
LLC Program Goals
- Develop partnerships with faculty and staff
- Dialogue with peers about academic and social issues outside the classroom
- Increase satisfaction with overall academic experience and persist at a higher rate
- Enhance students’ connection with Temple University and the city of Philadelphia
Before deciding to apply for a Living Learning Community, please make sure that you are willing to make a commitment to being an active participant as well as a commitment to the academic classes affiliated with the program.
Applications for the 2021-2022 academic year open Monday, December 14, 2020.
How To Apply
- Pay the $250 Housing deposit, and allow at least one (1) business day for your deposit transaction to process.
- Go to MyHousing to start the application process.
- Select the Living Learning Community Application under MyForms.
- Your application will be reviewed and you will receive an email notification on whether or not you have been accepted into the LLC program.
- In order for your Living Learning Community application to be officially submitted, you must agree to all program requirements of the Living Learning Community.
- Regardless of when you submit your Living Learning Community application, housing assignments will be based on your housing deposit date.
- Following an approval, a representative from the Office of Assignments and Billing in University Housing & Residential Life will manually assign your space upon the space suggestions of Living Learning Community administrators.
- Roommate requests will be considered for students accepted into the program; otherwise you will be randomly assigned with another Living Learning Community applicant.
LLC Students have the benefit of living in a specialized community with increased ease of access to academic resources. As a result, our students excel academically and our students in first-year communities persist at higher rates than their peers. This increase in academic success is illustrated in the table below, comparing first-year student Grade Point Averages.
Coming to college for the first time is a fun and exciting experience, but it can also be daunting and stressful for many students. The LLC program provides staff and resources to help with this transition and create a welcoming community full of new friends and exciting opportunities. We want students to get acclimated to their new environment; get connected to other students, staff, and faculty; and get involved within the Temple campus and the Philadelphia community.
- Come back to campus early for the Early Arrival Program
- Explore Philadelphia and get connected to campus resources before classes start
- Transition into college life with the help of Peer Mentors and Resident Assistants
- Live and grow with a group of peers who share a common interest
- Meet students from other LLCs at All LLC events and programs
- Network with a built in community of upper class students, staff, and faculty
- Attend LLC exclusive programs focused on academic success
- Volunteer in the local community through service projects and events
- Take advantage of increased access to academic units, departments, programs, and student organizations