Temple University logo
Hooter standing with the owl statue

Break Housing

Both undergraduate and graduate students have the option to request Housing Extensions during the following breaks:

  1. Fall Break
  2. Winter Break ($375 fee)
  3. Spring Break
  4. Summer Break 

All residence halls are open during all break periods.

Additionally, there is an End of Spring Term Extension that allows students one extra day after the official move-out day in May.

How to Apply for an Extension

  1. Log into MyHousing via the TUportal.
  2. Click the Academic Year Housing link at the top navigation bar and select the current academic year housing application.
  3. Select Housing Extensions from the Housing Options menu.
  4. Select one of the housing extension options.
  5. Complete the application.

In the event you submit a request beyond the published deadline date, a $50 late fee will be assessed to your account.

Break Closing Information

  1. Attend your Resident Assistant's Hall Closing Meeting for each break period.  
  2. Take valuables home with you.
  3. Unplug all electrical devices.
  4. Remove all trash from the room.
  5. Lock all doors and windows.
  6. You will not have access to your space while the residence hall is closed for break. (Unless you apply for a Housing Extension.)

For more about each extension period, view the side bar menu on this page.

Housing Extension Policies

Students Eligible for End of Spring Term Extensions

End of Spring Term Extensions are for any student needing an extra day after the official move out day in May due to University reasons or due to travel arrangements. 

University-related reasons include:

  • Students with an academic reason to remain on campus
  • Student with an athletic commitments
  • Students with on-campus work responsibilities

In each case, a University administrator must request permission on behalf of the student. 

Guest Policy

The University's residential guest policy is in effect during all break periods. Guests will only be permitted in residential facilities that remain open over the break.

On Duty Staff During Breaks

If an administrator needs to be contacted in the event of an emergency, please refer to the Residential Life Duty Schedule. Emergency staff will be available throughout the break.

In case of an emergency, please contact the RA on Duty in your building.

Right to Search Rooms and Security Procedures

The professional staff will be permitted access during the break period to all residential areas for University related business including conducting room checks. All persons entering the residential complexes, including University personnel, must use their ID card to gain access.