Wireless and wired internet services are available in all of Temple’s residence hall rooms.
PREPARING YOUR COMPUTER
To access the internet, you will need to bring a computer running Windows 7, 8.1 or 10 or Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks (or later) with 8GB RAM
recommended. A computer from a major manufacturer is recommended, as technical assistance is not available for home-built systems. In addition, for wired internet service you will need an Ethernet (RJ-45) cable. A 14-foot cable is
Before coming to campus:
- obtain the latest Windows or Mac OS updates. For update instructions, visit cs.temple.edu/system-updates.
- remove any peer-to-peer file-sharing programs, such as BitTorrent.
- remove illegally downloaded copyrighted materials, such as music and video files, games and software. (Files downloaded from peer-to-peer file-sharing programs generally contain illegal copyrighted materials.)
- leave any network equipment—such as wireless access points, routers and switches—at home. They are not permitted in residence halls.
- review Temple’s network security policies (cs.temple.edu/policies).
Penalties for not following those policies include, but are not limited to, suspension or termination of internet access and referral to the university disciplinary committee.
FREE SOFTWARE RESOURCES
As a current student, you can:
- download a free copy of Office 365 on up to five PCs and Macs, and up to five compatible mobile devices. To learn more, visit cs.temple.edu/office.
- download a free version of Symantec Endpoint Protection antivirus and firewall software when you connect your computer in your room.
- store your files in the cloud with OWLbox, Google Drive or One Drive.
To learn more, visit cs.temple.edu/storage-comparison-chart.
REQUESTING INTERNET SERVICE
For details about how to obtain internet access after moving in, visit cs.temple.edu/connect. This site contains links to topics including:
- setting up a wireless or wired connection (including requirements)
- connecting a game console or media device
- using Print on the Go wireless printing Computer Services staff will be available in residence hall lobbies during Move-in to assist you with setting up internet access.
If you have questions, contact the Computer Services Help Desk:
IN PERSON: TECH Center, Room 106, Main Campus, 12th Street and Montgomery Avenue
BY PHONE: 215-204-8000
If you plan to bring an entertainment, gaming or media device, it will need to support WPA2 Enterprise (wireless), WPA2 PSK (wireless) or wired Ethernet. For information on setting up these devices, visit cs.temple.edu/mediadevices-residence-halls.