Temple University logo
Incoming student with boxes

Fall 2018 Move-in

Learn more about new and returning student move-in.

Items Available for Purchase

Please review this section for items you may want to purchase prior to arriving to campus.

Renter's Insurance
Residents are encouraged to consider purchasing renter's insurance through GradGuard, a service of Next Generation Insurance Group.  The plan they're offering to Temple students is designed specifically for college students, costs just $149.68 for the year and includes $5,000 of coverage for theft or damage by a covered peril to your personal belongings with a $100 deductible and $50,000 of personal liability coverage.  If you already have Renters Insurance with equal or better coverage or are covered on your parents’ homeowners insurance you don't need to do anything else.

On college campuses, backpacks are often filled with thousands of dollars of electronics and books, and student bicycles and other valuables are often targets for criminals. Remember, you are responsible for replacing stolen or damaged property, not Temple University.

GradGuard Renters Insurance is a smart investment for college students and their families. With our Renters Insurance plan, any personal items that are stolen or damaged by a covered cause of loss can be replaced, subject to a $100 deductible. This includes clothing, computers/laptops/tablets, smart phones, bikes, game consoles, textbooks, furniture, and more. GradGuard Renters Insurance also protects you financially for unintentional damage to your residence or bodily injury to others for which you are liable.  With low annual rates, GradGuard Renters Insurance is designed for Temple students and their families.            

Features of GradGuard Renters Insurance include:

  • Low $100.00 Deductible. Compared to $500, $1000, or more for a typical homeowners insurance policy.
  • Replacement Cost. If your personal property is stolen or damaged due to a covered peril, it will be replaced with an item of like kind and quality.
  • Worldwide coverage – Your belongings are protected even outside your home. If you are traveling or your car gets broken into, GradGuard Renters Insurance can help cover property losses outside your residence.
  • Electronics coverage – Your electronics, including your TV, laptop, smartphone and tablet, are covered up to the policy limits. There is no special limit.
  • Personal Liability Coverage. If you cause damage to property or injure others, you may be liable for the damages. Renters Insurance from GradGuard provides up to $300,000 in personal liability coverage. For example, if you unintentionally set off your building’s sprinkler system, liability protection can help pay for the resulting damages.
  • Alternative to Homeowners Insurance. Not all Homeowners Insurance policies are the same. Limitations may apply when property is away from the principal residence. With Renters Insurance, personal belongings are covered whether you are on-campus, off-campus, or traveling anywhere in the world, up to the policy limits.

To learn more or sign up for a plan, click here.

For frequently asked questions about Renter's Insurance, click here.