You may post only the following types:
- Flyer 8.5"w x 11"h
- Digital Signage for the Res Hall TVs - 16:9 or widescreen PowerPoint slide - JPG or PNG only
Please complete the Common Area Posting Request Form and deliver it, along with your flyers to be posted, to the office of University Housing and Residential Life, located on the 3rd floor of 1910 Liacouras Walk. If request is approved, flyers will be stamped immediately and returned for delivery to the residence halls.
This policy was created to articulate University Housing & Residential Life’s guidelines for common area posting in Temple-owned and Temple-sponsored residence halls. Common area posting is defined as the display of any temporary informational or promotional materials on preapproved designated posting spaces. Posting materials may include: flyers, posters, digital signage, or poster board displays placed or affixed in a common area space for advertising scheduled meetings, events, programs, and activities.
University Housing & Residential Life (UHRL) residence halls are non-public areas of the campus. Postings are limited to those approved by the Director of Residence Life and/or their designee, including graduate-level employees. Approval depends on available space, which is determined on a first-come, first served basis.
The following guidelines must be followed to post in Temple University’s owned and sponsored residence halls:
1. Flyers/Posters/Digital Signage will be used only for events, meetings, programs, or activities sponsored by recognized Temple University student organizations or university departments.
2. A posting request form and an original copy of the requested posting must be brought to the University Housing & Residential Life Office, located at 1910 Liacouras Walk, Suite 301, during business hours (Monday to Friday 9-5pm) or emailed to the posting policy email account at least ten (10) business days in advance of the desired posting date.
3. All submissions must include the following information:
a. Name of the approved sponsoring student organization or university department
b. Date, time, and location of the event, meeting, program, or activity
c. Contact information of submitter (TUID number included)
d. Cost to attend the event, meeting, program, or activity, if applicable
4. Submissions promoting anything in violation of Temple University policies and procedures or any advertising which promotes illegal activities or illegal content will not be approved. Any submission for posting (flyers, digital signage, or poster board displays) may not use explicit language, including slurs or denigration of any groups or individuals, or make references to the use, sale, or consumption of alcohol, tobacco, or marijuana, be sexually explicit/suggestive, or promote illegal activities or illegal content. Approval of all postings shall be at UHRL’s sole discretion.
5. Specifics for types of posting:
a. Flyers: Flyers submitted should be no larger than 8 ½” x 11” in size. Upon approval, one copy will be returned with the UHRL stamp of approval and the individual(s) may duplicate and distribute the specific number of copies to each residence hall’s front desk so that they can be distributed to designated posting space in each residence hall. Only one poster or flyer for each event/initiative is allowed per board, regardless of board size.
i. 1300 – 2 flyers
ii. 1940 – 2 flyers
iii. Beech International – 2 flyers
iv. James S. White Hall – 2 flyers
v. Johnson & Hardwick – 4 flyers
vi. Morgan North – 2 flyers
vii. Morgan South – 2 flyers
viii. Podiatry – 2 flyers
ix. Temple Towers – 2 flyers
x. The Edge – 2 flyers
b.Digital Signage: One (1) slide per event may be submitted for approval sent to posting policy email account. Slides should be in the landscape orientation and sent as PNG (preferred) or JPG file format, RGB color code, 72DPI or under 2MB, 1980x1020px or 16:9 aspect ratio. PowerPoint slides are permitted but must be in widescreen not the traditional 4:3. sent to posting policy email account. Digital signage will be pre-programmed to run for the duration of the specific posting period. All messages will be transmitted via Microsoft PowerPoint slides.
c. Poster Board Displays: Poster board displays must go through either the Student Center or UHRL for approval. Posters must be on foam/corrugated board and no larger than 30” x 40”, portrait layout.
6. All approved postings (flyers, digital signage, and poster board displays) will be displayed for a maximum period of two weeks before an event, and removed by UHRL staff the day after an event. Student organizations or university departments will have three (3) business days to claim the poster board displays before they are discarded. Digital signage will be pre-programmed with an end of display date.
7. Any attempt to alter materials after receiving the UHRL approval stamp may result in disciplinary action through the Student Conduct process.
1. Non-Discrimination Policy: The university will not tolerate unlawful discrimination or harassment in the workplace, academic setting, or its programs or activities based on individual’s age, color, disability, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or veteran status. This policy is intended to be consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws and other university policies. This policy does not allow curtailment or censorship of constitutionally protected expression and will not be applied in a way that infringes upon an individual’s constitutional rights of freedom of expression.
2. The Director of Residence Life and/or their designee, including graduate-level employees, will check all submitted materials for grammar, language, and required information. An email will be sent to the individual(s) submitting the posting request informing them of approval or reason for denial and necessary changes for resubmission.
3. University Housing & Residential Life will keep a scanned copy of the stamped flyer and completed posting request on file.
4. University Housing & Residential Life reserves the right to deny approval to any flyer, digital signage, or poster board display that violates the common area posting policy in any way.
5. Print or digital postings will be posted in designated locations only. Digital signage and poster board displays are located in the lobby of each residence hall. Flyers will be posted in the preapproved designated posting spaces in each residence hall.
6. Posting of any kind is strictly prohibited on the following areas in the residence halls. Any materials posted in these locations will be immediately removed.
- Glass windows
- Door windows
- Security desks
- Residence hall entrances
- Laundry rooms
- Vending machine rooms
- Drywall surfaces
7. Residential Life staff will monitor residence halls for inappropriate usage. Anything that is posted in the preapproved designated posting spaces without the official UHRL stamp or is not posted in the designated posting areas will be immediately taken down and discarded.
8. Violation of the common area posting policy may result in disciplinary action through the Student Conduct process.